Monday 28 November 2011

Just plain ole nasty



Iraz the Turkish waiter
When did the world become so rude? It now seems positively acceptable for people to be rude. The girl on the returns desk at a high street store, like as if I wanted the silk to tear like that, causing embarrassment in a sensitive moment. It's the norm, I've came to expect just as I would the cheek of the Turkish waiters as they flirt with your other half or how when at the end of a concert its one big push to leave. But it should be easy to be nice, however the gym is no exception to the rude rigmarole. The tirade of rudeness extends even there. As it turns out my gym card doesn't work properly so I can't swipe in to gain access to the utopia that is my local gymnasium. Meaning I have to trouble myself each time I go with the irksome task of going to the front desk and asking to go to the gym.

As sure as oeufs is oeufs the receptionist glowers at me as I stride gayley en route to the desk as if I have a cheek to disturb her conversation with the handyman. It's near enough always the same receptionist yet she does the same tedious sequence each time. Takes the card, swipes it, talks some more to handyman bob, looks back at the screen and "tut". She TUTS, at me, with my large smile and friendly air she feels the need to darken my day with a TUT! Every time......because you see, I have a hall booking on my membership which flags upon her screen, she explains. This is why I can't swipe in. I know this, this happens every freaking time I go and has been happening for the last two months yet here she is explaining it in her monotonous agitated voice, Again. Eventually after some explaining she says "I'll let you in but I'll have to speak to someone regarding this". She never does, I know this and so does she. Meaning each time I want to train I have to go through this annoying sequence of events again and again.

Once in the changing room it's no different though. I usually go for the same locker because I can't be bothered wearing a stupid plastic strap around my wrist, you see guys trying to rock this look and inevitably failing. So I choose the locker with just the key which is so much cooler. Unfortunately for me and of course the girl who chose the locker below mine, my locker is somewhat high. I like it, It saves me from leaving things which is a habit of mine. However for low locker girl, it's a tad bothersome that I am at my locker getting things in and out when she wants to be in her locker getting things in and out. Apart from the obvious drawbacks, my crotchal region would be in her face if she bent down, A fan as I am to going butt naked in the changing room. This could prove dangerous say someone walks in and thinks we are performing a sex act, we could be locked up, the key thrown away. Our names in the papers, publicly humiliated. I don't suppose she could just wait maybe? But no she doesn't she attempts an elasta girl move with her right arm, crouching face away from me against the lockers. Why can't she just say excuse me???? Really is it so hard? So here I am minding my own business, head in my locker as I feel something touch my left leg. "Oh" I say, "would you like me to let you in?", "Aye, could you" she says. I was slightly taken aback by her tone, I'd hoped for a genteel, "yes please" (Yes ok maybe her education is somewhat lacking) so I say, "Only be a second" and have a rummage in my bag, stopping every few seconds to sigh and say, "hmmm, where is it". I do this until I know she is seconds away from chibbing me, I get quite scared, I move back. But inside I am absolutely reeling, I can't get over how rude people can be and not realise it. I see no need, I see no benefits from it, I wish I was mental enough to rugby tackle her and explain in a polite manner that she should learn some manners. Smile for goodness gracious, say hello, be polite, especially if you're paid to be. Why pay forward your own bad mood, it's particularly selfish. But it's the fashion babayyy, it's the trend these days. Being obnoxiously rude is de rigueur and we wouldn't not want to follow a trend now......

1 comment: